Sfinții Voievozi Church
Church / Architectural objective
Sfinții Voievozi Church was built between 1857 and 1963 on the highest point of the city, therefore dubbed "Catedrala din deal"(Cathedral from the hill).
With an impressive architecture, the church was designed according to the Bolgrad Cathedral plan, at the suggestion of the Bishop Melchisedec Ştefănescu (the first Bishop of the Lower Danube, in 1864), and it is about to become the Cathedral of Galați county.
The sanctum was built on the cemetery of the former public hospital, where are buried the bodies of the Russian soldiers fallen on the battlefields in the Russian-Turkish wars, starting with the one from 1806-1812 and ending with the Crimean War (1853-1856).
In recent years, the Sfinții Voievozi Church has been restored capitally for the third time, and in 2011 the Church was resanctified.
Text and photo sources: http://galatituristic.ro/