The Church of St. Nicholas
Church / Architectural objective
In 1776, Mihai Racovită, the ruler, built the Church of St. Nicholas and dedicated to St Ecaterina from Sinai Mountain Monastery. The church was small and was built after a triconch plan. The construction year is engraved on the foundations and on the nowdays church’s floor.
The Church of St. Nicholas has a ship shape plan, divided by two rows of collomns. The west wall and on the first two octagonal columns in the church sustain the Pantocrator Tower with a circular section. The iconostas is wood carved and separates the altar apse from the rest of the church. The painting was refurbished after 1980 in very loud colors.
On the outside, the church has several Greek decorative elements: Doric columns, triangular pediments, and denticles. The foundation is made of river boulders, the masonry of brick, the roof truss of wood, and the cover is made of sheet metal.
Text and photo sources: //galatituristic.ro/; http://www.biserici.org/